This recipe is mouthwatering and I have been so excited to share it. Recently, I have been seeking variety in my life when it comes to cooking! So, I decided to spice up my weekly meals and cook something I did not used to love. Drew loves steak and I knew he would be so excited when I added this to our grocery list. So, I decided to experiment with the protein and learn about its’ benefits and try out brand new recipes. The outcome has been so great! It adds a fun new meal for us to look forward to, and just really spices things up for us. I have been loving it because you can make it citrus-y and pair it with a nice white wine or you can marinate in warm flavors/spices and pair it with a deep red. You get to decide!
Let’s Talk Benefits
Flank steak is a delicious cut of meat that offers a variety of essential vitamins and minerals. This cut comes from the abdominal muscle on a cow, which so happens to make it one of the leanest cuts of beef. Also, one of the healthiest! This meat is low in fat and full of protein, vitamins and minerals. Like anything in life, it is vital to have balance with meat consumption. Overall, just be mindful of your portions and how frequently you are consuming it. Enjoy it and embrace these benefits that will keep you feeling amazing: protein, energy, and more.
Zinc – Zinc is a vital mineral to the body that helps with the manufacture of protein in the body as well as sense of smell
Iron – An essential mineral, helps with the transport of oxygen in the body. Prevents feelings of fatigue
Vitamin B12 – Helps you form blood and keep great functions on your nervous system
Creatine – Helps your body to store and sustain energy
I love cooking steak in the cast iron because it sustains all the natural flavors of the meat! It is also a simple and easy way to cook it on a week night when you do not have a ton of time. Cooking the meat in hear allows it to sear nicely leaving it with an even crisp! YUM.
This cast iron pan is excellent for cooking steak and achieving grill marks. You can purchase directly through Amazon for under $20, a great deal for a cast iron.
Lean & Clean Flank Steak with Citrus Corn Salsa
Yield 2 Servings
- 1 lb Flank Steak
- 2 tbsp of EVOO
- 1 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Dash of Paprika
- Dash of Oregano
- Dash of Sea Salt
- Dash of Pepper
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 2 Ears of Corn
- 1/4 C. of Shelled Edamame
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 3/4 C. sliced Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 C. Cilantro Chopped
- 1/4 C. Red Onion Chopped
- 1/2 fresh Lime
For the Steak
- In a large bowl, add olive oil, garlic, coconut sugar, balsamic vinegar, fresh squeezed lime juice, paprika, oregano, sea salt and pepper. Add flank steak and marinate for 1 hour or even overnight to optimize flavor.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over mid-high heat. Remove the flank steak from the marinade and discard the excess marinade. Place the marinated flank steak into the cast iron skillet and let it sear for 5 minutes or until the flank steak develops a seared edge.
- Using tongs, flip the flank steak over and sear the other side for 5 minutes or until cooked to medium rare. If your skillet becomes dry while cooking the steak, add a tablespoon of grass-fed butter as needed.
- Test the temperature of the flank steak using an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat. The temperature of the flank steak should be 120-125°F
- Bring two ears of corn to a boil and remove
- Carefully slice the corn off the cob into a small - medium size bowl, allow to cool
- Add in Chopped red onion, tomatoes, edamame, red bell pepper and cilantro
- Add the juice of 1/2 fresh squeezed lime, dash of sea salt and pepper
- Mix and allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow flavors to combine
- Serve steak with corn salsa on top and enjoy!
Rare is a cool 125 degrees F
Medium Rare is 130-135 degrees F
Medium to Medium Well is between 145-150 degrees
I hope you enjoy this dish! I love seeing all of your creations, share them with me Tag @theempowerist on IG or direct message me!
With Love & Gratitude, Carly